Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Now that I've been looking into CNC

I've realized that several of my past wood projects could have benefited from using the CNC router...


This was the table I made in basic wood design for the "free standing horizontal surface" project.
The table is composed of four parts that fit together to create a surface, and is made out of 3/4 inch plywood. Each leg contains 24 layers, which were individually cut, stacked and glued. The top pieces are comprised of four pieces. Each piece was cut on the band saw individually, stacked and glued together (a stack lamination). The legs were then attached (glued).




On the bottom of the two bottom pieces you can see I added a mortise and tenon joint for structure and stability. There are a handful of other ways that I could have made this table and I realize that now but if I had be able to use the CNC router to cut out the top pieces, each piece would have been more consistent and they'd all be identical. It would also be more accurate and the pieces would have a tighter cleaner fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment